Richard Greville Thonger (b.1861) was working as a pharmacist in Birmingham in the spring of 1882 when he attended a meeting at The Salvation Army’s Regent Hall on London’s Oxford Street, where ‘the Spirit of God took
Search FNL grants since 1931
The material auctioned at Bonhams is probably the most significant collection relating to Marc Brunel ever to come on the market. Marc Brunel was a creative and innovative engineer who had a significant impact on the nineteenth century. His influence continues today; for example, the tunnelling shield which he invented to construct the Thames Tunnel is the inspiration for all modern soft-ground tunnelling machines [see Brunel Museum entry above]. Marc made I.K. Brunel into an engineer by teaching him to draw and observe, and sending him to France for a technical education. He also gave him his first job, as Engineer at the age of just 21 on the ambitious Thames Tunnel project. I.K. Brunel owed much of his engineering success to his father.
The material sheds light on the period of Marc Brunel’s escape from France to the USA, and his early days in England: a part of his life poorly represented in UK collections. This period is important because during it he created block-making machines, sawmills and factories at Portsmouth and Chatham Dockyards for the UK’s part in the Napoleonic Wars. The material also fills significant gaps in the existing public collections relating to Sir Marc and family.
The Civil Service Lifeboat Fund was founded in 1866, one of the founders being Charles Dibdin, a Civil Servant in the General Post Office who, in 1885, left to become Secretary of the RNLI.
Ada Clarke was the younger sister of D.H. Lawrence (1885-1930), the Nottinghamshire writer who was also a student of the University College of Nottingham, the predecessor of the University of Nottingham. The collection was the last major cache of DH Lawrence papers still in private ownership. It comprises over 600 items and includes two of Lawrence’s University College of Nottingham notebooks; autographed manuscripts of poems, short stories and essays; corrected proofs of his writing; first editions of his works; personal correspondence from Lawrence; a diary entry; and artefacts such as his own paintings and artist's palette, sandals and a poncho. The importance of the Clarke Collection for DH Lawrence studies cannot be overstated. Ada Clarke was Lawrence's closest sibling, so a wide range of invaluable, unique and irreplaceable items were passed to her by Lawrence and other family members. Anybody studying DH Lawrence's early life and writing, and his links to the Nottinghamshire region, simply has to refer to these items.
Dickson, Archer & Thorp, solicitors of Alnwick, Northumberland was established in the late 18th century and continued until the death of the last managing partner in 2005.
This extensive collection of family papers is comprised of a wide range of correspondence, photographs, drawings, prints and marriage documents, and is an important adjunct to the papers of Edith Somerville already held in the Special Collections Library at Queen’s. The Coghill Archive includes a substantial amount of family correspondence involving Somerville, particularly letters between her and her sister, Hildegarde. The family correspondence is all the more interesting as some of it crosses generations: siblings, parents, and children, as well as husbands and wives. The Coghill Archive provides insight into the life in of Irish landed family, and because of the unusual amount of material relating to children we gain deeper insight to other aspects of that family life. It also includes evidence of the different experiences of members of the family during World War I.
Pusey House is home to the principal Anglo-Catholic library and archive in the UK. The House was founded in 1884 as a monument to the life and work of Dr Edward Bouverie Pusey (1800-1882), Professor of Hebrew at Oxford University and Canon of Christ Church Cathedral. This is an important set of correspondence between Dr Pusey and Francis Richard Wegg-Prosser. Wegg-Prosser (1824-1911) had been MP for Herefordshire from 1847, but had to step down on his conversion to the Roman Catholic Church in 1852. He later helped to re-found the Benedictine Monastic Community in England and built the pro-Cathedral for the diocese of Newport and Menevia. Their letters were exchanged in 1851, shortly before Wegg-Prosser’s conversion to Rome, and shed light on Pusey’s theological understanding of the place of Anglicanism in the wider Catholic Church.
Peterhouse acquired two lots at auction that derive from the collection of literary manuscripts assembled by Richard Monckton Milnes, 1st Baron Houghton (1809-1885), many of whose papers are now held by Trinity College, Cambridge. The manuscripts were written by the poet Thomas Gray (1716-1771), who studied at Peterhouse from 1734 and became a Fellow of the College. Each lot consists of original manuscript leaves which have been mounted for binding in a volume or scrapbook and subsequently disbound. Evidence from earlier foliation suggests that the two poems were originally bound sequentially early in one volume and the sets of reading notes were together as part of a second volume.
Before purchasing this book we had no books from the Library of George Folbury/Fowlbery (d. 1540), who was Master of Pembroke Hall, Cambridge, 1537-1540. The book’s provenance comes from Folbury’s ink inscription on the title ‘Su[m] liber G. folberij’ and signature ‘G. folberi’ below the publisher’s device on the final page. The book itself is a worthwhile acquisition. It has a fine London contemporary binding with Tudor binding rolls, numerous contemporary annotations and its distinctive title page was designed by Holbein; but it is the provenance that means it will become part of Pembroke’s historic collection.
Thomas Bewick (1753-1828) is well known for his illustrated books British Birds and Quadrupeds, but in his work as a professional engraver over a 50-year period he produced a wide range of material – book illustrations, bookplates and newspaper advertisements, as well as engraved silver, clock-faces etc. Interest continued in Bewick’s work through the 19th century and up to the present day, his work being republished, sometimes pirated, collected and studied by bibliophiles. Thirty-four years after his death his daughter saw his autobiography (the Memoir) through the press. To cater for the ‘Bewick collectors’, Jane Bewick prepared ten copies of the Memoir that were interleaved with blank pages, on to which she pasted proof impressions taken in Bewick’s workshop, also copying out poems and accolades to her father.